RedStorm women fall in OT

By Randy Payton - For Ohio Valley Publishing

RIO GRANDE, Ohio — Megan Klenk scored her second goal of the game just under five minutes into overtime, lifting Cincinnati Christian University to a 4-3 win over the University of Rio Grande, Thursday night, in River States Conference women’s soccer action at Evan E. Davis Field.

The Eagles, who won for the first time in 11 outings overall, also improved to 1-3 in conference play with the victory.

Rio Grande, which suffered a fourth straight one-goal loss, slipped to 3-7-1 overall and 1-3 in the RSC.

Klenk scored with 4:55 gone in the extra session when teammate Claire King played the ball forward toward the 18-yard box and it ricocheted off an oncoming RedStorm defender, creating a 1-on-1 matchup with Rio senior goal keeper Katie Zuniga (Massillon, OH).

Klenk gathered in the ball and made a quick move to her right before reversing direction and pushing a shot past the diving Zuniga and into the lower left corner of the net for the game-winner.

Zuniga, who was seeing her first competitive action in goal since middle school, was credited with three saves in a losing cause for the RedStorm, who fell despite enjoying a whopping 35-16 edge in shots overall and a 14-7 cushion in shots on frame.

Senior Kelsie Lee (West Chester, OH) started the game in net for Rio and played the entire first half before giving way to Zuniga for the second stanza and the overtime period. She surrendered each of CCU’s first two markers.

Rio Grande took a 1-0 just 56 seconds into the contest when sophomore Payten Davis (Chillicothe, OH) scored off of a pass from fellow sophomore Chase Davis (Huntington, WV), but the Eagles knotted the score just over 10-1/2 minutes later on an unassisted goal by Maren Hance.

The RedStorm regained the lead when Payten Davis assisted on a goal by junior Brooklyn Pritt (Scott Depot, WV) with 25:57 left in the first half and pushed the cushion to 3-1 when Davis had an unassisted marker with 6:51 remaining before halftime.

The game was stopped just over 3-1/2 minutes later as a result of lightning in the area and the Eagles appeared to catch some of it in a bottle.

Once play resumed after the 30-minute stoppage, Klenk scored her first goal – thanks to a pass from Corinne Windisch – with 10.3 seconds left before the break to get CCU within 3-2.

The Eagles tied the game with 24:18 left in regulation when Jodi Litzler found the net via a feed from Klenk, setting up the dramatic finish.

In addition to the overwhelming advantage in shots, Rio Grande also enjoyed a 10-2 edge in corner kick opportunities.

Mariah Petty stopped 11 shots in the winning effort for CCU, which played just 12 players in the contest.

Rio Grande will look to end its losing slide on Saturday evening when Brescia University visits for another River States Conference match.

Kickoff is set for 5 p.m.

By Randy Payton

For Ohio Valley Publishing

Randy Payton is the Sports Information Director at the University of Rio Grande.

Randy Payton is the Sports Information Director at the University of Rio Grande.