Late goal lifts CCU past Rio women

By Randy Payton - For Ohio Valley Publishing

BLUE ASH, Ohio — Host Cincinnati Christian University scored twice in a span of just over one minute late in the second half to snap a 1-1 tie and fuel a 3-1 win over the University of Rio Grande on Thursday night in River States Conference women’s soccer action at the Blue Ash Sports Complex.

The Eagles improved to 8-7-1 overall and 3-4 in conference play with the victory.

Rio Grande, which suffered a third straight loss, slipped to 3-12-2 overall and 2-4-1 in the RSC.

The RedStorm saw their postseason hopes take a serious blow with the setback, dropping from sixth place to eighth place in the RSC standings.

Head coach Tony Daniels’ club now needs an upset win over Asbury on Saturday afternoon, in addition to a win by WVU-Tech over Cincinnati Christian, in order to grab the sixth and final spot in the RSC tourney.

CCU grabbed a 1-0 lead with 19:58 left in the first half — when Brandi Rice headed in a shot following a free kick by teammate Corinne Windisch and that’s how things stayed until Rio Grande got the equalizer off a free kick of its own early in the second half.

Senior Jenna Jones scored the game-tying marker when she found the back of the net from just outside the 18-yard box a little less than four minutes into the second stanza.

The deadlock remained intact until CCU tallied the go-ahead marker — an unassisted goal by Morgan Vaughn from inside the box — with 14:10 remaining.

The Eagles sealed the win just 72 seconds later when Megan Klenk found the net from just outside of the 18-yard box.

CCU finished with a 14-6 edge in shots, including 10-2 in shots on goal.

Kendra Steepe had one save in the win for the Eagles.

Rio junior keeper Kristin Garn had seven saves in a losing cause.

Saturday’s regular season finale at Asbury is scheduled for a 2 p.m. kickoff.

Randy Payton is the Sports Information Director for the University of Rio Grande

By Randy Payton

For Ohio Valley Publishing