With today’s technology, you may never have to go to an office or even make a phone call to do your business with Social Security. Current workers and people who receive benefits can join the millions who already interact with the agency by computer or tablet by opening a free my Social Security account. It’s easy, safe, and, most of all, secure. You’ll only need a few minutes at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount to sign up.
You are never too young to start thinking about your financial future. A my Social Security account is very valuable for younger people who don’t receive benefits yet. Young workers can use the best free retirement and financial planning tool available. Once you open a my Social Security account, you can have access to and — at the same time — download your Social Security Statement. With your Statement you can review
• Estimates of your potential future retirement and disability benefits;
• Estimates of survivors benefits for your spouse and children, if you should die;
• Your earnings record to confirm the accuracy; and
• The estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid.
If you already receive Social Security benefits, with a my Social Security account you can
• Get a benefit verification letter;
• Change your address and phone number;
• Start or change direct deposit of your benefits payment;
• Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season; and
• If you’re signed up for Medicare, order a Medicare replacement card.
To open your free my Social Security account, you must be at least age 18 and have a
• valid email address;
• Social Security number; and
• U.S. mailing address.
It only takes a few minutes to sign up, and it’s easy to do. There’s an informative video and frequently asked questions on our website to help you.
So, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount and open your own, secure my Social Security account today. Then you can join the millions who can plan, invest, and save for a secure retirement with confidence.
Marcus Geiger is Social Security district manager in Gallipolis.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU