Emergency HEAP begins Nov. 1

Staff Report

CHESHIRE — As the weather will be turning colder, Gallia Meigs Community Action Agency will be assisting customers with their main heating utility and/or furnace repair.

GMCAA’s Emergency HEAP Program will begin Nov. 1 and will continue through March 31, 2018, explained Debbie Cundiff, Community Services Manager.

”We are excited to introduce to our customers our new automated system for making appointments. Instead of having to wait to call every Friday and our phone lines being tied up, plus by the time some have been able to reach us the appointments are already filled up. We now have an IVR System, (Interactive Voice Response System), which will give the customers access 7days a week/24 hours a day for making their appointment by phoning in. The new number is toll free, 1-866-409-1361. We are hoping that this will make it easier for our customers and also you won’t have the wait time of being told that all appointments are filled and you would have to call back next Friday. You will have to have your social security number or client number and your gas and electric account number in order to make your appointment. However, please note, an appointment may not extend a scheduled utility shut-off,” stated a news release.

Emergency HEAP provides assistance to households that have had utilities disconnected, face the threat of disconnection, or have 25 percent or less supply of bulk fuel, or less than 10 day supply of wood or coal. The program allows a one-time payment per heating season to restore or retain home heating. The potential dollar amount will be up to $175 for regulated utilities, up to $550 for unregulated utilities, up to $450 for wood, coal or pellets and up to $750 for propane/fuel oil, etc., and up to eight cylinders of propane.

The income guidelines for Regular HEAP and Emergency HEAP are the same. However, Regular HEAP requires the previous 12 months income while the past three months income is acceptable for Emergency HEAP. The 12-month period or three-month period for the help is determined from date of application making it possible for some with decreased income during these periods to qualify later in the program. Examples of these types of situations could occur from layoff, strike, retirement, disability or death of a spouse or household member. Documentation verifying all household income must be provided when applying for HEAP. Child support must be verified, for the last 3 months and up to 5 days from your appointment. Also a copy of the applicants most recent gas/electric bill is required. It is also required that you provide social security cards for all household members. You will also be asked for proof of landlord, including address and phone number. If the grandparents have custody of the children in the home, we will need the custody papers also.

The following income levels by household size should be used to determine eligibility. These income guidelines represent the 175 percent calculation and are revised annually. Allowable annual income for a 1 person household is $21,105; 2 persons $28,420; 3 persons $35,735; 4 persons $43,050; 5 persons $50,365; 6 persons $57,680; 7 persons $64,995; 8 persons $72,310. Households with more than eight members should add an additional $1,828 per member to the yearly income.

Both Emergency HEAP and Regular HEAP applications will be completed at both offices; Central Office, Gallia County at 8010 N. SR 7, Cheshire or the Meigs County Office at 1369 Powell Street, Middleport. Appointments will be made by our IVR System, appointment times will range from 9-10:30 a.m. and from 1-3 p.m., Monday through Thursday and Friday from 9-10:30 a.m. GMCAA will see the first 12 walk-in at the Cheshire office and the first 3 walk-ins at the Middleport office Monday through Friday. However, again, GMCAA cannot assist with the Emergency HEAP application process until Nov. 1.

Required Documents:

• Proof of Gross Income for Everyone in the Household for the Past 3 months • Wages: Weekly – Last 13 paystubs/ Biweekly – last 7 paystubs

• Utility Allowance/Lease

• SS/SSI/SSD – Bank Statement or Current Award Letter

• PERS/VA/SERS/PENSION —Copy of Current Award Letter

• College Student- Financial Aid Documents (Refund Page)

• OWF/TANF/DA- Print Out of the Last 3 Months or Bank Statement

• Child Support, Ordered to Pay or Receive

o Print Out (documented proof for the last 3 months, verification of whether receiving or not)

• Social Security Cards for Everyone in the Household

• Current Heating Bill or Statement (Columbia Gas/Knox, Propane, Fuel Oil, Coal, or Wood) • Current Electric Bill (AEP or Buckeye)

• If you pay out ofpocket for HEALTH INSURANCE, documented proof for 3 months o Aflac, AARP, Blue Cross Blue Shield, etc.

• Medicaid Card or Case Number (if applicable)

• Landlords Name, Address, and Phone Number (if renting)

For appointment call 1-866-409-1361.

Staff Report