RACINE — Following the June 29 storm which caused damage throughout the region, the Racine Village Hall was left with a large hole in the roof where the chimney once stood.
Clerk/treasurer David Spencer said the chimney and portion of the roof collapsed into the building around 7 p.m. the night of June 29, and gave credit to the insurance company and contractor for their quick response. The chimney, with a large quantity of bricks, was left on the staircase between the first and second floor of the building.
The next morning the agent was at village hall and other sites within the village to view the damage. The Ohio Plan, which provides insurance to the village, along with Belfor Property Restoration did not leave until the job was done said Spencer.
Cleanup began on July 2, and work continued through the end of summer and early fall.
He noted that many times when work is being done a company will take time to work on other jobs, this was not the case with Belfor.
The 101 year old building has now been restored to it’s previous condition with a new staircase, ceiling, roof and other items.
The building originally opened in 1911 as Racine High School and later became Racine Elementary School prior to the village purchasing the property in 1998.
The staircase was crafted by Amish workers away from the site, taken apart to be transported to Racine, and reconstructed in place.
Spencer praised the work of the insurance company and contractors, adding that you don’t know what a company is about until you truly need them, and the village could not be happier with the result.
Other damage in the village repaired by Belfor include damage to a dugout, items in the park area and the shed at the fire station.
During a council meeting following the storm, Spencer told council the village would only be responsible for the deductible, $1,000, of the more that $100,000 in damage.