GALLIPOLIS — The Gallipolis City Board of Education met in regular session on August 15, 2012, at 7 p.m., in the library of the Gallia Academy Middle School. Present were Board President Lynn Angel, Vice President Robert Cornwell, Board members Dr. Timothy Kyger and John O’Brien, Superintendent Roger Mace and Treasurer Ellen Marple. Absent was Board member Amee Rees.
After the agenda and July 18 minutes were approved, Jim Craft gave an update on the construction status of the Middle School. Only a few finishing touches remain. The school passed the Life Safety inspection. Additional inspections are scheduled and will be completed in advance of the start of school on August 22. Additional sitework will include fencing at the retention pond adjacent to the parking lot. The official dedication of the school will be on September 1, 2012, at 9 a.m.
Lisa Jo Blackman was named the new Middle School Assistant Principal. Principal Craig Wright reported that eight candidates were interviewed, but Blackman’s interviews showed her enthusiasm for the school and the students.
“I’m ecstatic! I can’t wait to get started!” said Blackman following the meeting.
David Perry, Blackman’s predecessor, is the new Career Development Transition Project Coordinator, directing a new program for special needs students that is aimed at establishing job skills and helping them transition to post-high school jobs. Perry, who is developing this program, said that they would follow participating students to age 25.
Other business conducted:
• Employed Brad Harris as a teacher
• Employed Jonathan Green as a custodian
• Approved extending Donna Shaver’s hours as a Cook from 4 to 6.
• Approved various supplemental contracts for the 2012-2013 school year
• Approved the following substitute personnel for the 2012-2013 school year: Jennifer Blazer — aide, cook, secretary; Ashley DeLille — teacher; Janice Henry – teacher; Gloria Houchens – teacher; George Miller – teacher; Shirin Nuggud – teacher; Benjamin Stairs – teacher; Ricky Stout – bus driver; and Waleska Wray – teacher.
• Eliminate the Courier job position (duties added to Attendance Officer’s job description)
• Approved the job descriptions/salary schedule of: Attendance Officer, Salary Schedule for Attendance Officer, Assistant Band Director/Marching Band/Percussion Instructor and Assistant Choir Director.
Contracts/agreements that were approved are:
• Contracts with the Gallia Board of DD for the 2012-2013 school year including Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy.
• Agreement with the Ohio Governmental Financial Management, Inc. for Professional Services.
• Memorandum of Understanding with the Gallia County Department of Job and Family Services for the referral of Workforce Investment Act youth participants.
Also approved were the semiannual summary of incidents of bullying; and bus routes and stops for the 2012-2013 school year.
Reports given were:
• An update on the Race to the Top Grant.
• A report on the back-to-School Administrative Team Meeting.
• A report that the district had received grants totaling $1.7 million through the 21st Century Grant program.
• Information on the new traffic flow around the building.
The Board adjourned into executive session at 7:33 p.m., with no action to be taken afterward.
The next Board meeting will be September 19, 2012, at 7 p.m., at the Gallia Middle School Library.