Meth lands WV man in prison

Amber Gillenwater

March 5, 2014

GALLIPOLIS — A West Virginia man charged in Ohio in two separate felony meth cases was recently sentenced in Gallia County Common Pleas Court.

Jeremy Lee Buck, 34, of Leon, W.Va., was sentenced last week before Gallia County Common Pleas Judge D. Dean Evans to two years in prison after he pleaded guilty to the illegal assembly or possession of chemicals for the manufacture of drugs in two 2013 cases.

An investigation began after Buck was interviewed by a officer with the Gallipolis Police Department on July 6, 2013, after he was allegedly found in the possession of several precursor items used in the manufacture of methamphetamine.

According to the report filed with the police department, at approximately 3 p.m. July 6, an off-duty police officer shopping at the Gallipolis Kmart store observed a man acting suspiciously and walking around carrying only a can of Coleman camp fuel — an ingredient commonly used in the manufacture of meth.

The man reportedly got into a red Volkswagen that left the area, traveling southbound on Ohio 7 toward downtown Gallipolis.

After being advised of the situation, Gallipolis police stopped the vehicle that, upon approaching the intersection of Sycamore Street and Fourth Avenue, failed to stop at the stop sign and traveled into the intersection prior to stopping.

The vehicle was stopped at the intersection of Fourth and Vinton avenues.

After approaching the vehicle, officers discovered Buck — the passenger in the vehicle — attempting to conceal items that were in the floorboard near his feet, including the can of camp fuel.

After asking Buck to step out of the vehicle, the suspect allowed officers to conduct a search of his person, which yielded a box of pseudoephedrine that had been purchased earlier at the Rite Aid Pharmacy in Point Pleasant, W.Va.

After receiving consent to search the vehicle, officers also discovered two packages of lithium batteries, coffee filters, syringes, a strap that appeared to be used as a tourniquet, a spoon and a set of digital scales.

Buck was reportedly interviewed by officers and later released.

An indictment was filed July 11, and Buck was subsequently arraigned July 12 in common pleas court. He was later released on his own recognizance.

Buck was again arrested Sept. 16, 2013, after an indictment alleging he was in the possession of lithium batteries Aug. 31 at the Gallipolis Kmart was filed with the court.

He was arraigned Sept. 18 and released later that month on a $15,000 own-recognizance bond.

After later failing to appear for a pre-trial settlement conference in both of his cases, a warrant was issued for Buck’s arrest. He was arrested Dec. 11 and, during a subsequent hearing, bond that was previously set was revoked.

A proposed guilty plea was filed late last month and, during last week’s hearing, Buck pleaded guilty to the illegal assembly or possession of chemicals for the manufacture of drugs, a felony of the third degree, in both of his cases.

He was sentenced to serve 24 months in the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections. He is to serve his sentences concurrently.

In addition to his prison sentence, Buck’s driver’s license was suspended for six months and he was ordered to pay a mandatory $5,000 fine.

He was given credit for 103 days served, along with future custody days while awaiting transportation, and ordered to pay the costs of prosecution.