URG women’s soccer rallies past Union

Randy Payton Special to OVP

September 8, 2013

RIO GRANDE, Ohio — A late marker in the 82nd minute by sophomore forward Kasey Crow proved to be the game-winner for the University of Rio Grande, as the RedStorm claimed a 2-1 victory over Union (Ky.) College in the second game of the Marge Evans Classic, Friday evening, at chilly Evan E. Davis Field.

After giving up a goal in the first seven minutes of the match, the RedStorm defense locked down and pitched a shutout the rest of the way behind an impressive performance between the posts by junior goalkeeper Allison Keeney.

Keeney (Cincinnati, OH) played the role of the proverbial brick wall and recorded six huge saves on the night for the RedStorm.

“We weren’t there in the first half,” said an exhausted Callum Morris, the head coach of the RedStorm. “We gave up a sloppy goal. We just didn’t start out doing what we talked about in the pregame. We got a really good goal from the outside by Courtney Young, hopefully one of many to come.”

The goal to which Morris was referring was a beautifully placed shot by Young - a sophomore from Okeana, Ohio - off of a free kick that was about 30 yards out from the left wing.

The score tied things up at 1-1 in the 24th minute of the match.

The intensity of the match became quite evident in the second half.

An astounding 17 combined fouls and 14 combined shots occurred over the final 45 minutes of the physical battle.

The goal from Crow, a sophomore from Chillicothe, Ohio, in the 82nd minute sealed the deal for the RedStorm.

“After a strict halftime talk, I thought we moved the ball around fantastic in the second half,” Morris said. “The girls didn’t let a few bad breaks get through to them and that was key. They played very hard in the second half and hopefully they can take this momentum into tomorrow’s match.”

The two-day event concludes on Saturday when Union faces Mount Vernon Nazarene in the 3 p.m. opener and Rio Grande entertains No. 21 Davenport University in the 5 p.m. nightcap.

Davenport scored with 52 seconds remaining in the second overtime to nip Mount Vernon, 1-0, in Friday’s opening game.

“I’d like to thank Marge Evans for allowing us to use her name and put this event on,” Morris said. “She’s a great supporter of Rio Grande athletics.”